"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority ... the Constitution was made to guard against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Noah Webster


"There is no worse tyranny than forcing a man to pay for what he does not want just because you think it would be good for him."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Swamped

Golly, it's yom chameeshee ("day fifth" - Thursday) and I have so much to do.  Welcome to my most incoherent blog post to date.  Go ahead, mark it on your calendar.

Yom Chameeshee
I have no clue how anyone can be bored.  I really don't.  I haven't had any steady employment since I moved up here at the end of February, by that I mean that I don't have a regular job with regular hours, but Adonai always provides just what I need, just when I need it.  Anyone who knows me knows that I work hard and get the job done as needed, and I don't expect anything for nothing. That's another subject.  I am just amazed that there are people who feel that they have nothing to do.  Twyla and I never have enough hours in the day.

If I wake up past 06:00, that means I've slept in.  Sometimes I'm asleep by 22:00, but occasionally I'm up 'til midnight.  I still rise between 04:00 and 05:30.  If I make enough noise when I get up, Brewster the Rooster will start crowing.  Since the cucumbers and squash and tomatoes are done, it's time to sprout and plant the cold weather crops: iceberg lettuce, romaine, butter crunch lettuce, mustard greens, broccoli, cabbage, etc.  I'm also trying to sprout salsify (pronounced "sal-suh-fee"), also known as oyster plant, because it has a subtle taste of the marine bivalve, but of course, being a vegetable it is kosher, or more correctly, we would call it pareve, or "neutral".  Can't wait to see how successful is that endeavor.  As you can see from the picture, it looks like a white carrot. There is also a black skinned variety that is popular in Europe.  If you would like to read some more information on this plant you can click here.

Right now, I have knives to sharpen, seeds to sprout, plant beds to organize, wood to move, grain to grind, bread to bake, more bread to make, notes to take.  And I don't want more sleep, I want more energy.  I almost resent the fact that I need to sleep. Tomorrow is yom shishi (day sixth) which is Shabbat eve.  Shabbat starts at sundown and we try to have everything done in time so that when we light the candles and consecrate the bread and wine and give thanks to Adonai, we can enjoy the next 25 hours just resting and thinking about what a great gift it is to have Shabbat.
salsify root

I hope that by tomorrow I will have something more interesting to post on, but for now, this will have to do.  And if you want to see what Twyla has posted on today click this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't make me disable comments because you couldn't maintain decorum and civil discourse. You can disagree all you want to, just don't get nasty.