"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority ... the Constitution was made to guard against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Noah Webster


"There is no worse tyranny than forcing a man to pay for what he does not want just because you think it would be good for him."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Glad To Be Home

I have a good friend who lives in a nice suburb of the northern Atlanta area.  He was nice enough to call me to come move some stuff for him yesterday.  He's one of those guys who you know you would be comfortable in a foxhole with, watching your back.  Such friends are few and far between, which is why I really don't have very many friends.  Actually, I like it that way.  I'd rather have just two or three friends who would take a bullet for me and me for them, than to have an entourage of people who will drop me like an empty soda can the moment things get difficult or they don't like my opinion about something.

It was the trip in to the big city of Atlanta that prompted this post.  Now, for the benefit of all possible readers, I want to explain how I view Atlanta as a big city.  I've looked at Sitemeter and it tells me I've got visitors from California and even New Zealand. Wow.  The only thing I really know about New Zealand is that they produce some wonderful lamb, they tend to be a bit more on the liberty side of things as compared to Australia or the rest of the world, and they have some of the most stunning landscape on the planet (If you've seen Lord of The Rings, you know what I'm talking about.).

Yesterday, I left the suburb of Dunwoody and got onto the infamous GA (Georgia) 400 highway.  Four lanes going north, full of commuters at 18:00 EDT trying to get about 10 to 15 miles north to the next suburban area where maybe they have more trees and a lack of zero lot lines.  For my country readers, that is shorthand for describing subdivisions where they build houses so close together that you can open your window and shake hands with your neighbor.  I love good neighbors, but at a minimum they need to be far enough away that they could stand out in their yard and scream at the top of their lungs and I'd have a hard time hearing them.  Preferably, walking to their property would be something you'd have to plan for in advance, such as taking a bottle of water and even some food for the journey.

I've lived in Tampa, Florida for 13 years; Costa Mesa, California for about a year. I've driven through most of the Los Angeles area and even down to San Diego.  I've driven the well known Pacific Coast Highway of California, from Los Angeles up to Santa Barbara.   I've traveled on Interstate 10 from Jacksonville, Florida to Santa Monica, California.  I lived in Miami, Florida for 3 years.  I've been in 27 States on the mainland.

Atlanta might seem like a big city to someone from Rome, Georgia, Oxnard, California, or Bartow, Florida, or Gassaway, West Virginia; but compared to what I've seen in my life, Atlanta is a wannabe big city.  It's really a piece of crap that became the major hub of commerce due to the railroads and it's central location in the southeast after Mr. Lincoln's war.  The Chattahoochee river isn't even a navigable water way, it's only contribution being water for irrigation and drinking. Atlanta's only other major attribute is it's airport, which is one of the worst places you could ever need to pass through. Downtown Atlanta merely serves as a petri dish for cultivating and maintaining the bloated parasitic entities of city, county, state and federal government.  The city government especially is trying very hard to be a clone of Chicago.  They are so leftist and corrupt that a city council member actually spoke against refurbishing the sewage system that dates to the 19th century because it might allow white people's sewage to pass under "their" city.  That's just a mild example.
We should resurrect Sherman and let him raze it again.

I am grateful for the trip into the area because it reminds me to be so grateful for where I live.
Helen, Georgia

By the time I got to Helen, it was dark.  Helen likes to fancy itself as a small German tourist trap.  They have this ideal spot where three rivers converge at the base of the mountains.  They seriously screwed up when they let Hardcore Biker Gear and two tattoo parlors open up.  They lost whatever charm they used to have.

I'm a firm believer in freedom.  If the people of a town want to become a Helen, Georgia or a Daytona, Florida, it's fine by me.  Don't expect me to live there.  I could easily adapt to living in Key West, Florida, but I couldn't stand to live in Miami ever again.

Did I mention that I am extremely grateful for where I live?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't make me disable comments because you couldn't maintain decorum and civil discourse. You can disagree all you want to, just don't get nasty.