"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority ... the Constitution was made to guard against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Noah Webster


"There is no worse tyranny than forcing a man to pay for what he does not want just because you think it would be good for him."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Your Six Year Old is Driving

I try to believe that anyone who comes to my blog is of reasonable intelligence.  I've never had an I.Q. test and the vast majority of the most brilliant people in history have never had one.  You either get that, or you don't.  I've had people with immense intelligence and credentials and power ask me where I earned my degree.  As if it mattered.  I don't think so.

We have people in the government, as you read this, who believe that you can spend your way out of debt because some guy named Keynes won a Nobel prize in economics.  There are people who want to control every aspect of your life regarding the light bulbs you use and how much water goes through your toilet, because Albert Gore won a Nobel Prize.

There are people working very hard to retain their power to govern your life by telling you that you have a right to medical services,    whoops, er, excuse me, I think they call it "health care".  But at the same time they can't explain how they can make medical care a right without enslaving other people to provide you with that care.

The following comes from Kevin Baker's blog, The Smallest Minority:


Quite while back I quoted one Jeffery Gardener from an April 27, 2005 Albuquerque Journal column, "Save Us From Us". In it Gardener said:
During the 1992 presidential debates, there was a moment of absurdity that so defied the laws of absurdity that even today when I recall it, I just shake my head.

It was during the town hall "debate" in Richmond, Va., between the first President Bush and contenders Bill Clinton and Ross Perot.

A grown man - a baby boomer - took the microphone from the moderator, Carol Simpson of ABC News, and said, in a fashion: You're the president, so you're like our father, and we're your children.

See? My head's shaking already. Where did that come from? Would a grown man have told a president something like that 100 years ago - or 50?

We've got our wires crossed, and our ability to accept responsibility for our lives - once so ingrained in our American nature that President Kennedy felt comfortable telling us to "ask not what your country can do for you" - has been short-circuited. We've slouched en masse into an almost-childlike outlook: You're the president, so you're like our father.

The fact that an adult - on national television, no less - would say this and later be interviewed as though he'd spoken some profound truth struck me then, as now, as more than a little absurd. It was alarming.
Kevin said:
It's still alarming.

In today's USA Today was a letter from G. Bruce Hedlund of San Andreas, California. Mr. Hedlund said this:
Quote:   "Think of our country as a society made up of children and a government made up of adults. It is up to the adults to weigh all the options and provide services in the best interests of the children."
Kevin said:
There is so much wrong with this, I don't even know where to start, but I will say that this attitude is responsible for the US receiving the government we've voted for.

Thank you, Kevin.

Moshe says:

If you want to be a child taken care of by a nanny government, there are plenty of places you can try to sneak into.  Cuba, North Korea, Venezuela, Viet Nam, China, San Francisco, Chicago.

Tell you what.  You go find one of those places where the ideology of the Left is doing wonders for it's people.  Leave the rest of us alone.  

You see, I grew up.  If you want someone else to be responsible for you, to be your parent, make them pay for it.  But if you want me to pay for you and be responsible for your behavior, then I WILL be your parent and I WILL bring down a righteous hammer on your behavior.  

But if you want some ideal life of voting for the parent of your choice who will then come and make me pay to provide things for you that YOU THINK are your rights, 

You have a whole 'nother thing coming.  I am so angry and seething at the idea that ANYBODY thinks that the purpose of government is to provide anything to anybody.

The rest of the people, in any society, do not owe you anything, except to be left alone to pursue your own life, liberty, and your own pursuit of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't make me disable comments because you couldn't maintain decorum and civil discourse. You can disagree all you want to, just don't get nasty.