"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority ... the Constitution was made to guard against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Noah Webster


"There is no worse tyranny than forcing a man to pay for what he does not want just because you think it would be good for him."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cat-astrophe

The cat is missing.  He went AWOL.

Here we thought he was trying to get in our good graces and try to stay inside more often, and now we haven't seen a patch of white fur in a while.  Last I saw of Casspurr, he bounded up the mountainside to the road that is about two stories above and behind the house.  That was three days ago.  I've seen neighbor's cats in the backyard, but no Casspurr.

The last night he spent inside, he bothered Twyla all night long.  Sleeping on top of her, chewing on her hair, walking around on the bed.  It was awful.  Then HE decides that he's gonna sleep all day on the quilt at the foot of the bed.  Every time I needed to back to the bedroom and saw him there I would poke him and tell him to wake up.

Maybe he got ticked off about that.  Maybe someone up the road attracted him with kitty treats.  Twyla said she's had cats who "two-timed" her.  That makes sense to me, since nobody really owns a cat.  Dogs have masters, cats have staff.  Then there's the phrase, "Cattin' around."

Dogs I understand.  Dogs are loyal.  I once had a tee shirt that said, "Lord, help me to be the kind of man my dog thinks I am."

Maybe Casspurr just couldn't stand competing for our attention with this new dog Moxie.  Moxie never seemed like a threat to Casspurr, and only seemed to want to play.

Maybe he just wants to run free for a while and will show up after he's grown tired of whatever it is he's into at the moment.  Twyla thinks a predator probably got him.  I hope not.  He is definitely at a disadvantage for two big reasons.  He has no front claws and he's stark white.  And even though he has proven how tough he can be with the local cats, something bigger and meaner is another story.

I hope he surprises me and shows up begging for one of us to pop open a can.

1 comment:

Please don't make me disable comments because you couldn't maintain decorum and civil discourse. You can disagree all you want to, just don't get nasty.