"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority ... the Constitution was made to guard against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Noah Webster


"There is no worse tyranny than forcing a man to pay for what he does not want just because you think it would be good for him."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Thursday, November 18, 2010

As Expected

When I posted about the wood stove last time, I told you that Twyla would probably change something in the room, and sure enough, she did.

I'm not kevetching or anything like that.  I love her decorating style. Today it gives me something else to post about.

The "Cozy" as of today
I can't think of a single water color painting of Twyla's that I don't like. The one she picked to go behind the exhaust pipe on the stove is perfect, because it completes the trifecta of her collage set. Writing the caption reminds me that I've decided to call the room, "the Cozy."  Calling it the kitchen, even though it's like part of the kitchen just didn't work for me.  I needed a way to distinguish between it and the main part of the kitchen where we actually prepare food.  We used to eat in there on the tea cart table, because it just made sense then, but ever since we completely re-arranged the other rooms and made the dining room such a grand place, we eat all our meals in there now.

We also got a deal on an old milk can at the thrift store. It's very nice as a decorating piece for the room, but it's also a very functional storage container.  Twyla will probably want to repaint it in the future.  She definitely doesn't like the eagle on the side, so it's just a matter of time and choosing the color.

I wonder how many people look at something like that and think, "I wonder who did that, and what would that person think about where this object is right now?"  More importantly, do you ever make something and think about the fact that somebody, somewhere, is changing it or destroying it?

How many gallons of milk passed through that container?  How long ago was it made?  When did it stop being used for milk?  Why did someone decide to make it a decorative piece?

Are you already bored by my questions?

As you were.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't make me disable comments because you couldn't maintain decorum and civil discourse. You can disagree all you want to, just don't get nasty.