"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority ... the Constitution was made to guard against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Noah Webster


"There is no worse tyranny than forcing a man to pay for what he does not want just because you think it would be good for him."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

No Whining

That is, on my part.

I took on this job managing a farm for someone else.  I did it out of a desire to pick up a few dollars.  I almost feel like I'm the main character from "The Grapes of Wrath."

I don't know how long I will do this.  How in the world do you work for someone who has a Lord/serf mentality, yet claims to believe in the sovereignty of the individual.

I am fully aware that I can only describe the world from my perspective and that I am an imperfect human being. But I am amazed how I can be lectured to by someone who demands excellence but wants it from virtual slaves.

Some people will never aspire to excellence, simply because they are incapable.  Some people will never aspire to excellence because they just flat out don't want to, and no amount of incentive will make them desire to strive for excellence.

But when you find someone who desires to strive for excellence, it is usually tied to an understanding that there is some kind of reward forthcoming.

You may be able to hold a carrot out in front of a mule's nose and get it to walk for a while.  But it doesn't take a human being too long to figure out that no matter how hard or fast they walk the carrot will get no closer.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else.  I'm just venting.  I really want to get back to posting about stuff without being worn slap out.

Yeah.  I really did whine.  So sue me.

1 comment:

  1. Smile - that's ME smiling, not coming up behind you and telling you to do so... Wow, what a thing to step up for, managing someone else's farm. May the Lord bless your efforts, and your steps walking away if you wind up doing that as well.

    I'm pretty much a NO Whining Allowed person as well, but the allowance has to be made every once in a while. ;D

    ReplyDelete

Please don't make me disable comments because you couldn't maintain decorum and civil discourse. You can disagree all you want to, just don't get nasty.