"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority ... the Constitution was made to guard against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Noah Webster


"There is no worse tyranny than forcing a man to pay for what he does not want just because you think it would be good for him."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What Are We Missing?

A while back, either I stumbled upon her blog, or she stumbled upon mine, but another blogress whom I read regularly, recommended to me that I consider switching to Wordpress.  I was still learning a few things about publishing in Blogger, but I was pretty happy with what I was doing so far and didn't give it much thought beyond that.

My lovely wife, Twyla, currently runs two of her own blogs:  Green Acres With Twyla and My 316 Notes in this same venue of Blogger.

But recently, she was asked to post for another blog, due to her wonderful writing and artistic skill. Problem is, whoever runs the blog decided to go with Wordpress.

Now, let me state up front, that I claim no real or imagined expertise at running a blog.  For all the reasons of life happening while I was planning something else, my being some kind of computer geek ended somewhere back in the early 90's.  I used to write batch files in DOS, and I can, er, somewhat basically, understand and use some HTML code when I really want to learn how to do it.

Now, I don't think my lovely, talented, artistic wife would be offended if I made the point that I've probably forgotten more about file management, computer software, patches, and workarounds than she would ever have two seconds of patience to hear about.  But can somebody who uses and understands Wordpress, please explain to me what is supposed to be so all fired good about it?  We use Blogger and have had only a few hitches in the learning curve, but the damned Wordpress has been absolutely maddening.

Is there some site on the web that can help us get more out of the program?  I'm looking for suggestions.  I reckon that the people who can't even figure out how to leave comments here won't be able to help me, but if you are a user or a fan of Wordpress, please tell me how to use the damned thing. How do I change the font or resize the font?  How do I change background or background colors?  If I have to know a whole slew of HTML code, why use Wordpress?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't make me disable comments because you couldn't maintain decorum and civil discourse. You can disagree all you want to, just don't get nasty.