"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority ... the Constitution was made to guard against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Noah Webster


"There is no worse tyranny than forcing a man to pay for what he does not want just because you think it would be good for him."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Friday, December 17, 2010

Bright Side

I'm sitting here trying to be very still. Very, very still.  Breathe very slowly and smoothly.

I'm also sitting here feeling very, very . . . I dunno . . . silly?

I had commented to Twyla earlier this morning about how slick the steps were on the back porch.  They are made of the typical pressure treated treads.  They are thoroughly soaked from two days of melting ice and the temperature outside was hovering at 32° F.  It would have been nice to just stay inside, but chickens have to be fed, and especially the little ones.

It was the first tread off the deck.  There was that fleeting moment when I realized that my feet were airborne in an attempt to fly over the ridge about twenty feet in front of me, in spite of the fact that it was an impossibility. I distinctly felt my left posterior ribcage attempting to fold around the second or third step as all 180 pounds of my body came down somewhat horizontally. I then "bounced" . . . I think . . . down to the ground.  The tray of mash food for the chicks spilled to the ground and I can hear Pretty Face making that alarming screeching sound that chickens make when they are extremely upset.  The nine chicks all attempting to make some similar kind of sound but not nearly as loud as her.

I can barely inhale enough to groan. Short painful gasps.  I'm looking up at the sliding glass doors, wondering if Twyla has heard, or can hear what's going on.  Of course she did. But in that totally stunned moment when I'm wondering how much is broken and afraid to check for blood, I'm wondering how to call for help when I can't even breathe.  There she is, probably scared, but with many years of nursing experience keeping her cool and professional as she holds me and assures me she is there to help.

That was about two hours ago.  I'm managing to keep the pain to a minimum by staying very still.  I don't know how many days I'm going to be like this.  Hopefully not more than three or so.  There is wood to cut and lots of other chores.  It's not right that Twyla has to pick up so much slack for me.

Trying to look at the bright side, I'm going to work on organizing files on the computer.  I'm going to catch up on studying some Hebrew and Torah.  I'm going to work on a really big post to this blog that I've been putting off for a while.

I'm praising God that I'm not in the hospital right now.  I probably cracked a rib, maybe even two, but Twyla tells me that there's only an abrasion and it's red right now.  Might be purple by tomorrow, but it can't be all that bad.  I'm going to use the time the best way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't make me disable comments because you couldn't maintain decorum and civil discourse. You can disagree all you want to, just don't get nasty.