"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority ... the Constitution was made to guard against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Noah Webster


"There is no worse tyranny than forcing a man to pay for what he does not want just because you think it would be good for him."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

We Celebrate Because . . .

I don't do this blog because I want to purposefully offend people.  Any thinking person with any experience in the world knows that there is no way you can breathe without offending somebody.  In spite of popular opinion, nobody has any right not to be offended.  The world is in a very deep pile of guano because we've allowed idiots to use our own sense of decency to make us ignore tried and true wisdom.  We've become tolerant of stupidity for fear of hurting people's feelings.

Now that we're over the edge and falling into the abyss, I don't hold back on the things I believe are important because it might make someone angry.  And no, I'm not perfect and don't have all the answers, but some things are just glaringly obvious, or should be, and when I feel called to write about it, I will.  All the best teachers I ever had challenged me and made me think and didn't give a damn about my feelings when my feelings were getting in the way of the truth.

I have avoided writing about Christmas, because I just didn't feel like running the risk of offending for no good reason or being perceived to be. But lately I've been running across more and more stuff in the blogosphere that indicates there are a lot more people who have been researching and looking for answers regarding the "tradition" of Christmas and it's origins, which makes sense, considering its real history and roots in paganism and its lack of having anything to do with the birth of Messiah.  I guess I should be thankful that the internet has made it so much easier to find and disseminate tremendous amounts of information for those who are willing to sift through all the garbage and find the truth.

One example that I found this morning comes via Bayou Renaissance Man in the form of a cartoon that is spookily reminiscent of Calvin & Hobbes:


One of the most difficult aspects of being a disciple of Yeshua the Messiah and defending His Word, the Bible, is convincing fellow believers that the main thing that separates our religion from all the others is the proof of historical fact.  It's very wearisome and irritating to have to explain to non-believers why so many in Christendom go along with traditions that simply shouldn't be tolerated in the Church.  It's uncomfortable to maintain friendships with our "Sunday brethren" when such topics come up and they just don't want to explore the problems. It can seem pretty lonely out here being Messianic.

But I'm hopeful.  I see more and more people asking questions and somehow wanting to know the truth and how to keep in line with it.  I hope the trend continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't make me disable comments because you couldn't maintain decorum and civil discourse. You can disagree all you want to, just don't get nasty.